Continuous learning is essential for everyone, but especially in the meeting industry as meeting professionals face increasing demands from their clients and employers to prove their skills in a constantly-changing industry.
It is very important for meeting planners to participate in certification programs and continuing education to enhance respect for the profession and advance individual careers.
Continuing education, including certification programs, helps meeting planners to stay abreast of the latest trends, technology and regulations. Programs with designations like the Certificate in Meeting Management (CMM) and the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) allow meeting professionals to showcase their skills and knowledge, putting them ahead of their competition in the job market.
Today’s programs are far more learner centered, innovative, and relevant to immediate meeting planner and company needs than ever before. No longer simply a reward for high potential planners or a chance to renew an individual’s knowledge base, certification programs are increasingly harnessed as strategic tools for companies and their employees to stay ahead of the game. At the same time, these programs also have been undergoing profound changes—resulting in leaner and meaner training options.
THE MPI ACADEMY
In August 2015, Meeting Professionals International (MPI) formally introduced today the new MPI Academy, an entity that encompasses and connects all of the education and learning experiences MPI delivers within the meeting and event industry and beyond. In addition, the association unveiled enhancements to its professional development offerings, including a variety of new certificate programs and experiential events.
The MPI Academy aligns with the Meeting and Business Event Competency Standards (MBECS) and is designed to provide multi-faceted learning opportunities for meeting professionals at all levels. Its portfolio is comprised of training courses, certificate programs, streaming sessions from MPI events, webinars and tools such as the new MPI Professional Development Roadmap, which helps individuals map out their career, pursue continuing education, and supplement their professional development.
WHAT DO THESE ACRONYMS MEAN?
- CMP: Certified Meeting Professional
- CMM: Certificate in Meeting Management
- CMMM: Certified Medical Meeting Manager
- CAE: Certified Association Executive
- CDME: Certified Destination Marketing Executive
- CEM: Certified Exhibition Manager
- CGMP: Certified Government Meeting Professional
- CHA: Certified Hotel Administrator
- CHSE: Certified Hospitality Sales Executive
- CHME: Certified Hospitality Marketing Executive
- CITE: Certified Incentive Travel Executive
- CPCE: Certified Professional Catering Executive
- CSEP: Certified Special Event Professional
- CSP: Certified Speaking Professional
- DMCP: Destination Management Certified Professional